Born the same year America first landed a man on the moon, I've always been fascinated with space and the universe and its striking similarities to our Earth’s own oceans, and even our own bodies at microscopic levels. My work, whether it be prints, sculptures, or writings, often reflects this enthrallment. I have also begun to use art cathartically to deal with my own personal issues, ranging from politics, censorship, female body trappings and, especially, Catholicism, a doctrine I've struggled to understand since childhood.
At age seventeen, I began my career as an artist for Tower Records. Over the next four years, I traveled across the country, creating displays and murals and helping to establish what became Tower Records signature look of the nineties. During this time, I became knowledgable and competent in the ways of airbrushing, spray painting, pastel drawing, acrylic painting, and foam core sculpture. This growing confidence in my abilities, combined with the first independence of a young adult, allowed me to discover and, more importantly, be proud of my own distinctive voice.
This was a hard-won achievement because aside from a brief period in Taiwan, I did most of my growing up in a predominantly white and exceedingly small farm town in Illinois. There I learned about prejudice and the consequences of being different. As a result, I spent much of my adolescence desperately trying to fit in. My mother’s Asian ancestry and exotic superstitions, mixed with my father’s military authority and ritualistic Catholicism made this impossible. Although I rebelled against the confusion and constraints of my parents, I eventually benefited from my father’s strict discipline, juxtaposed with my mother’s Taiwanese mysticism. From my father, I learned to enjoy following the rules and from my mother, I learned to enjoy breaking them.
I was drawn to printmaking because it appealed to this same duality—allowing for both precision and spontaneity. My methodical side enjoys printmaking’s many rules, but my impulsive side is given free reign with printmaking’s endless possibilities in techniques and materials. I especially enjoy linoleum-cuts and collagraphy, but am also attracted to the many other processes, including serigraphy, solar printing, and lithography.
Disappointed with the intimidating attitudes of many traditional art galleries, I am interested in someday owning a gallery of my own. I believe that everyone could find art that actually inspired them, moved them, if it were more accessible, more welcoming. My gallery will have art that is beautiful, ugly, controversial, heartbreaking, joyful, startling, and silly, both affordable and ridiculously priced. It will have moving walls, secret staircases and hidden rooms for the adventurous.
I am currently pursuing my BA at George Mason University. I am learning lots of cool stuff.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
This is an unusual and intereting artist profile.
Best of luck at GMU!
BTW, in life's other ironies, I'm an artist...(email link is on my blog on my "about" page.)
Thanks for visiting...I'd like to see your work!
Your blog is great and your art awesome. Ironically, I was looking for the Larson cartoon "When potato salad goes bad" and that's how I found your blog. So, I've been roaming around enjoying myself. You say you hope to have a gallery, well I'd say you already have one. I've enjoyed visiting--it's been a wonderful experience. SOmeone from Idaho Falls, Idaho.
Post a Comment